Here’s why every serious actor or actress needs a coach:
• You are a brand
• You need to increase your weight lifting from good to great
• You need the advice from someone who has worked in the industry
The choice between going to an acting school or not attending, is almost like deciding to skip or prepare for college.
The truth is, acting schools give actors a competitive advantage in a very competitive industry. This is done through techniques that have been learned and taught through decades. These acting techniques are what directors look for during auditions. Acting schools also produce skills in individuals to make showcases perfect – and on any stage.
Yes, some skills cannot be taught. These include natural talent, in-born motivation, and others. Then, there are those abilities which can be learned.
What acting skills are taught in an acting school? Here goes:
• Learning timing, as in when to move based on settings and signals
• Rhythm, meaning gestures and the way your body moves freely and naturally
• The display of emotions, to increase and nail believability
• Voice control and pitch, for getting into character
These skills are just scratching the surface. If you’re new to acting, you may need to start a beginner course. Actors who are already in business can continue with acting classes to improve upon current skills.